RYA Course - Under 18 bookings
By making a booking it will be deemed that you have read and accepted these terms and conditions on behalf of the student.
If you are not already a member of Frensham Pond Sailing Club (FPSC) then your course fee includes Restricted Family Membership. This runs from the start of your course until 31st October, allowing the student to build on his/her training by sailing at the Club and hiring its boats (subject to conditions and successful completion of the course).
- 1.Payment for training courses
- Once FPSC has accepted your application for a course it will request payment for the full amount of the course fees
- a.If you cancel the course up to 4 weeks before the start of the course a refund of 75% will be made
- b.If you cancel the course up to 7 days before the start of the course a refund of 50% will be made
- c.If you cancel the course within 7 days of the start date, no refund will be made
- d.If you find a suitable candidate to take your place on the course then a full refund will be made
- e.A full or partial refund or alternative sessions may be offered to a student forced to withdraw from a course because of injury sustained during the course
- 2.Frensham Pond Sailing Club Cancellation
FPSC may cancel a course for any reason (e.g. equipment failure or bad weather). It will attempt to reschedule the course but if this is not possible or if a student is unable to attend on the alternative dates then a full refund will be made.
FPSC may exclude any student from a session or whole course if they are unable to participate effectively due to medical or health problems; cause damage; cause annoyance to others; pose a safety risk to themselves or others; or refuse to comply with the Booking Terms.
- 3.Medical Information and Impairments
In the interests of the student's safety and to enable FPSC to make any reasonable adjustments to accommodate the student, when you book a course you must inform FPSC about any medical conditions; physical or mental impairments; or dietary intolerances that may affect the student's ability to take part in the course or any treatment to be given to the student in the event of an emergency.
Declaring information about dietary intolerances does not reduce your responsibility to ensure that the student checks what he/she eats or drinks is consistent with the student's dietary needs.
Note that regular medication will not be issued to students unless a parent/guardian/carer has provided a signed FPSC Medication Authorisation Form.
- 4.Health Warnings for Inland Waters
Weil's Disease is a bacterial infection carried in rats' urine which contaminates water and wet ground. The bacteria may be absorbed through the skin, mouth, eyes or minor cuts and abrasions. If the student feel ill or develop a high temperature, a flulike illness and muscle pains after training then seek medical advice promptly and ask for a blood test for Weil's disease.
Blue-Green Algae are present in Frensham Great Pond. On occasions growth of the blue-green algae becomes excessive and causes blooms and scum, which in turn may produce toxins which can be harmful to people and fatal to animals which drink from the water. Whilst problems are rare, children and vulnerable adults are at greater risk because they may be less able to appreciate the risks and to take appropriate precautions. FPSC has produced a fact sheet covering the effects of blue-green algae and precautions that you should take to minimise the risk to the student. This is available from the "Training" drop down menu on the Club's website at www.sailfrensham.org.uk.
- 5.Personal Possessions
All personal possessions, including sailing kit, cars, money and other valuables are brought to FPSC at the owner's risk and the Club cannot be held responsible for loss or damage to them.
Small lockers which will hold money and other valuables are available in the changing rooms for use at your own risk. The student will need a £1 coin to operate a locker.
- 6.Data Protection
On successful completion of all other courses the student's name, certificate number and date of issue will be stored by FPSC for seven years to allow the Club to replace your certificate if required.
- 7.Photography and Videos
The use of any camera or other device to capture personal images in FPSC's changing rooms is strictly forbidden. Anyone doing so will be asked to surrender any such images immediately and escorted from the site. Any member doing so will also be liable to expulsion from the Club.
Similarly, the use of mobile 'phones in changing rooms is strictly forbidden.
FPSC may arrange for photographs or videos to be taken during its courses for use as a training aid; for recognising achievement; to assist with course management; and/or inclusion on your RYA certificate (if applicable). Any such images, which may include images of the student, will be used solely by FPSC to facilitate training and will not be shared with any third parties (unless required by the RYA for a certificate). By booking a course you agree that images of the student can be used for these purposes and agree to assign any copyright or other right of ownership of these images to FPSC without payment to you or the student.
Where the student can be reasonably identified in images that FPSC wishes to use for any other purpose such as to promote the Club or its activities through newsletters, websites, press reports and/or social media channels then it will ask for your written consent to do so.
If you or the student become aware that images are being used inappropriately you should inform the Club's Safeguarding Officer or another club official immediately.
- 8.Students Under 18 Years Old
The Club is only able to supervise young people under the age of 18 whilst they are taking part in a course between the advertised start and finish times. At all other times the safety, welfare and conduct of any young person aged under 18 is the responsibility of their parents/guardians/carers, whether or not a parent/guardian/carer is present at the Club.
For all young people under the age of 18, the parent/guardian/carer agrees that:
- a.They will be contactable and available to come to the Club within 30 minutes should the need arise.
- b.They will be on-site with the young person until the course has officially started and will return 15 minutes before the end of each day (but see note below for 16/17 year olds).
- c.The Senior Instructor or Chief Instructor in charge of the course can act in loco parentis in their absence.
- d.If they intend to remain on site for the whole or part of a day they shall sign an 'On Site' register for each day on site.
- e.The Senior Instructor will be informed immediately if/when the young person is removed from the Club, either during or at the end of the day.
Note : If the parents/guardians/carers of a young person aged 16 or 17 judge that they are mature enough to be safe at the Club (the age at which that is the case will vary from one student to another) then they may leave them at the Club without a parent/guardian/carer or other designated adult being on site but remain responsible for the young person outside of the start and finish times of the course.
Last updated 09:11 on 13 December 2019